5/17/04

The Great Lake

"The worst bankrupt in the world is the person who has lost his enthusiasm." ~ H.W. Arnold

It was like an omen. I decided to go down to Pere Marquette tonight and catch a sunset...it's time to start on my New Year's resolutions. The sunset wasn't that illustrious but I got to watch the Paul S. Friggin Huge Townsend barge pull into the channel.

This is a great lake. It calls to me.

Lighthouses.

Flags staking their claim, stating their cause, and blowing in the wind. Waves lapping the shore. Wet sand. Dry sand. Smooth unadulterated sand. A hazy horizon. Constant noise that doesn't bug me. Jagged rocks.  These are a few of my favorite things.

As I round the curve and the lake that could just as easily be an ocean comes into view it never fails to calm me.

The Muslims get called to prayer 5 times a day. In the Old Testament Daniel prayed 3 times a day in his front window, even though prayer to anyone but King Nebuchadnezzar had been banned.

I will use the sunset and the lake as my Mecca. So if you're reading this---know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Now I must drive home past the Frosty Oasis...so much for New Year's resolutions.

No comments: