11/19/11

Back To The Future?


Yesterday, they tore down the old May Ford Motor Sales building.

Now, I'm all for hope and change and progress.  But I cried as I passed the big bulldozer eating away at the  half moon shaped building while cubed block glass shattered at the impact.

There is a lot of talk these days about revitalizing downtown america.  I've even sat on an Indiana Main Street committee for almost 2 years, all the while driving back and forth to Michigan on the back roads and slowing to wonder about each and every boarded up downtown.

If I could have my way, yes we'd revitalize, rebuild, and restore our downtowns, but in the process we wouldn't tear down our memories and rip apart buildings that could have possibly been salvaged.

Now we have the post office, grocery, banks, parks, and a flower, bakery and antique shops, so I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I don't just want new curbs, benches and tchotchke shops.  I want a bookstore, internet cafe, museum, art gallery, historical society, depot turned museum, the public school gymnasium, a town square, parallel parking, bowling alley, stage & screen theater, diner, and dance floor.  Oh, and also, a bike path along the railway and/or a crosswalk over highway 24. Is that too much to ask?

I guess so, welcome to town, Dollar General.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man, this photo on your front page reminds me of so many towns I came across while in N.C. looking for a nice quite charming town to move to years ago. But now I'm back in D.C. with the noise and the bad attitudes and the sky high housing costs. Life is good.