1/20/12

Lady Ga Ga Is Right

Recent events from my former life and, holy cow the book of Genesis have caused me to think about sin. Yeah, that's right I said the "S" word on my blog. There's a truckload of sin goin' on in Genesis.  Eating from the wrong tree, deceit, sleeping with young-girls & housekeepers, gluttony, sister-wives' baby making competition, murder, jealousy, anger, laughing at God, etc. etc. etc. Then, as my YouVersion reading plan takes me through Genesis and Romans at the same time, more sins are discussed and strike closer to home.
evil
selfishness
hatred
jealousy
fighting
lying
thinkin the worst about each other
gossip
hate
rudeness
conceited
brag about oursleves
disobedient to parents
don't keep promises
show no kindness or mercy to others....
Romans (Paul) goes so far as to say "they invent ways of doing evil."
Sin is like a snowball ... it gathers momentum, and grows bigger as it rolls along, unchecked it can turn into an avalanche. 
People are tempted when their own evil desire leads them away and traps them.  This desire leads to sin and then the sin grows and brings death.— James 1:14-15


We WERE born this way! Adam and Eve sorta got the sin ball rolling, so we get to deal with the sin nature they left to us.  Nonetheless we were also born with a free will to choose.  To decide. To repent. So first off, and at the risk of appearing judgemental; let's get January's sermon on the blog out there.
#1.  Our sin nature isn't, but sin is a choice. Isn't everything?
#2.  All have sinned and therefore all need a Savior.  "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned"— Romans 5:12

"Sin will take you further than you want to go, keep you longer than you want to stay, and make you pay more than you want to pay-" not neccessarily biblical but spot on.
What are there, 7 billion people on earth now?  And no two, exactly alike.  Sit and think about that for a minute or so.
Our Creator, created us, in his image (stop and think about that for an hour or so)  We were created so He could give us his inheritance, help him bring the kingdom to earth ("on earth as it is in heaven...") and we could fall in love with his son. And we were created, creatively, so we could share this good news with others--so that all might know and believe.  We were born this way, too!


So I blame myself.  I don't know what I was doing, maybe sitting in church or arguing politics, when those terrorists were learning how to fly and not land planes in Sarasota, FL.  What was I doing while hollywood produced 82 films and tv shows on the occult and paranormal activities. (2011) ... reading Harry Potter and the Twilight series? What am I doing while children are being turned into sex slaves?  Teaching a sunday school class or taking the teenagers to Cedar Point? What am I spending time doing when my neighbor is thinking of suicide? Surfing the internet? What am I doing while the next generation may be the last? Trying so hard to see the tiny speck in someone elses' eye that I can't see the log in mine? What was I doing to spiritually influence those I entrusted my children to? Worrying about audition results or what part they would get in the play, if they had the latest fashion, or if they played on JV or Varsity?


Great news, there's a point #3 
As far as the east is from the west,
         So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
—"Psalm 103:12
“I, even I, am he who blots out 
   your transgressions, for my own sake, 
   and remembers your sins no more. 
—Isaiah 43:25


“The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’ 
Acts 17:24-28

I was created for more than this. I was created to love Him with all my soul, heart, and mind. Tim Tebow, me,  and you, were created to praise Him. What if everytime I booked a photo session, I fell to my knees gave thanks to God for supplying my needs?  If I'm a believer and can write, I must write to honor Him.  If I'm a believer and can paint, I should paint so others can see his handiwork.  If I'm a believer and work in a factory, I should work so my co-workers and boss see Him in me. If I'm a believer and making comments on facebook, I should build-up, not tear town. Get creative, someone's life depends on it.


Coming soon: "Living In A Palace", "3-Minute Miracle" "Dear Max & Lilly" and "Ready Yourselves" the Year-In-Review video. I'm serious this time.

1 comment:

Pam said...

You can say it like no other! Thanks for that! Love ya, cous!